Friday, July 19, 2013

Chalkboard Wall

 
This long wall is something that I stare at from my kitchen.
And after losing phone numbers scribbled on random scraps of paper (among other things) I decided that this area would make the ideal chalkboard wall.
 
For functional reasons, but also because I wanted to paint the rest of the room white, and would a black wall in a white room make such nice contrast?
 
Here is how it turned out:
 
 

The photo doesn't do it justice. It looks really nice and bright and crisp.

The yellow chair is my "time out" chair.
I honestly believe in appropriate spankings for disobedience.

However, there are many times that my children don't directly disobey, but have an attitude issue.

That is when we use the yellow chair. With the fruits of the spirit written above, the kids can reflect on their lack and as Jesus for some of His. For example, "God I really don't like my brother right now - can you please give me love and patience?"

 
I picked up this frame off the curb. It had fake flowers glued all over it - but I pulled them off and have happily loved the frame ever since. I really do love it. I remember telling Sylvain one night "If our house burned down tonight the only thing I would take with us is that frame. Everything else can be replaced. But not that frame. It's my favorite. It goes in any room."
 
He said I was crazy.
 
He also said I was crazy the day he came home to a half-finished black wall.
"I don't like it at all," he informed me.
 
I wasn't convinced yet. He doesn't imagine the unseen very easily. So I didn't take it personally. The next day once I had added chalk and accessories, he came to me on his own accord. "I guess I do like it after all. It's rather nice actually."
 
I have been pleased with it visually (especially in the big room as a whole... hopefully I'll add another photo soon to show you). But I'm especially pleased with the function. I can write whatever I want, and I'm not going to lose a phone number... nor my menu... nor the topics we need to discuss at family meeting... I can leave a note for the babysitter, and I can write 911 on the wall because Tristan is always nervous that he wont remember it in an emergency if mom falls off her ladder and he needs to get help for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment