Monday, March 16, 2015

Dining Room Again

I'm always working around something - sometimes I wonder what it would be like to create from scratch.

With my previously posted diningroom updates, I worked around the existing chairs that I had. And I bought a bench to match, and thus give me enough seating for my very large table project (Putting farmhouse planks on my existing table legs).

Unfortunately, the bench was wiggled to death by my boys in less than a year.

Conclusion: I do not like cool looking cheaply made furniture.

Action: Sold my chairs for $20 each. Hunted down chairs for $8 each.

Dilemma: I prefer mixing styles. It gives drama, and is currently in style. My exchange student pairs the craziest combinations of shirt, sweater, skirt and shoes, and always looks adorable. I like this look in my house as well - the contrast and drama from items that at one time wouldn't have been paired. However, my light fixture is already a country look. My farmhouse table is also rustic. I would need elegant glam chairs, retro plastic ones, or modern contemporary things equaling 8 chairs, and I had a hard time finding this for under $10 per chair (my goal) and also STURDY and well built. Due to these factors I went with quality over aesthetics and bought some Varagesale Very Country Chairs.



I have a very country diningroom.

The benches were a Craigslist find. For my kids who are bouncing on and off - I'd rather not have them knocking and scraping and pushing chairs every 4 minutes. So benches have been great. These were extra wide which I liked, and extra solid which I liked, and extra tall which confused me. But a friend chopped the legs off to fit at a table. I painted them and embraced the blue upholstery. Funny how I've become so lax on things because overall, the function is important, and next important is scale, and I can usually find a way to like or alter almost anything else but the less work the better these days.


Country is inviting and homey. It says, "Gather, stay, connect, get comfortable, open your heart, give, and love"

 
I don't mind that. I'm always at home with a slight country touch. Maybe it's my childhood memories, or maybe it's that there is something wholesome about the country and this type of decore seems to capture wholesomeness.

Anyway. Country diningroom it is. And we will gather and love and get comfortable here a lot. With friends and family. On solid seating.



No comments:

Post a Comment