Sunday, November 22, 2015

Before Christmas

This post is to do some house dreaming with some friends - though I've never seen the home :)
We are looking for function, affordability, and style - but in that order


Boho room is easy. It's just about pattern on pattern to give it that hippie vibe:

 
 
 

 
She wants the fairy lights, and I think adding a garland will be a nice touch too, as well as canopy drapes from those tapestries.



My only issue is, if you pintrest "boho bedroom" it has a very sloppy look. I think that brass bed will totally change her room into a classier boho, a more sophisticated boho. And she is both. The picture below shows how a mix of so many styles all can mix together for this room:


 
The next bedroom should also be pretty straightforward. I think that scandanavian style often has mattress right on the floor for a "minimalistic" approach. To keep this bedroom trendy it has to be somewhat sparse. But for the bedstand I do like this long white bench - easily made, could be sat on and have multiple function.
 



The picture below is too colorful, but it does give a general visual for the following:

naked bulbs hanging for a sidelight over the bench OR a stump. A stump would also be ideal because it would bring in that nature element. Also, an unpainted wooden crate nailed to the wall could house soccer ballballs (turned upwards) and one front facing overtop for things like books. It would also give a little unfinished pale wood to an otherwise painted room, and some small parts of pale wood does help that minimalistic monochromatic feel.

 


The third room I don't know about... it could go so many ways... but I'm thinking the easiest thing is to just take whatever is available and paint it bright colors:


This nursery below is so appealing to me and the feel could be replicated in a pre-teen room - I just love it


 
 
 
 
But above has a lot of things that may take a long time to figure out. So, below is a much simpler fix - a wall mural could give her room some personality without needing more than some paint.
 
 
 
 



BATHROOMS
I'm not sure what you're working with, but I like how in the photo below all the drama comes from paint. The sink itself is plain. The mirror is a modern circle. But this bathroom looks cool without being a complete remodel (er, again, not sure what you're working with)


 
I also love a wood piece, when you can find one, for towels. If you can put it into the hall it helps keep the towels from smelling in the humidity, it gives more bathroom space, and decorates your hallway.
 

 
 
MASTER BEDROOM
below is just  a pretty room. But having matching side tables with matching lights and matching pictures will give a room a more "expensive" feel. So if you're going to work with what is available, trying for this feel in the scale and layout is a pretty nice pattern.
 
 

LIVINGROOM

I don't love the gallery wall on this first picture, but it does have a good concept of basic layout that would work with a lot of furniture options

 
 
If you wont have your house character and poshy furniture being the wow factors, creating a gallery wall is such a great way to add in that drama.

 
Because you don't want your house to look chaotic, a gallery wall should be on only one wall while the rest of the walls are very simple - maybe one large item, but not busy.
The room below embraces Scandinavian simple, which would be an easy look to do through your house because it can be chic but minimal.

 
 
However, a glam style might be more your personality. Which requires a little more thought but I think is just as doable.
 

 
Having one statement piece is great - and if that could be a couch, wonderful. But it doesn't have to be a couch. Take the coolest thing that you can find/get/have and just make THAT your statement piece. Whatever it is.


The other trick is, to have all dark walls or one dark wall. Having a navy wall makes a bit of sexy sophistication with its moody lighting. You can make the things you have a lot more dramatic by having them on a dark wall. It's becoming trendy right now so you'd be edgy.


 
 

 



I know you said there wasn't room for a table, but I just want to see about that. If your kitchen is too small for an eating area, I would be nice to squeeze one into the livingroom...



I also love light rooms - and I actually have a large amount of gray paint (4 gallons?) that you could check out too. I keep thinking that'll I'll paint my yellow walls but..... not anytime soon.

Below is just a visual of how some basic elements can change tone by adding blingy accessories. If you find some great deal on vivid large-scale accessories, you can get by with a pretty plain backdrop.

 
I'm exited for you all because...
"I like" becomes "I am"
and I like the idea of a sense of belonging, a sense of intentional purposeful meaningful life, and creating your own home with your own identity for a wholesome place that is focused on living to glorify God
 
So to say "I like living within my means
I like pretty practical rooms
I like having our family have a place to pray and eat together
I like home as a place of peace and refocusing
and eliminating clutter to embrace the eternal"
means that it what your home becomes
 
by choosing to live it out
and the first step, creating the home, is a beautiful part of that journey
Hence, I'm excited for you all!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment