Thursday, March 21, 2013

Headboard

When we first viewed the house, this is how the master bedroom looked:


It's rather an amazing bedroom - but I felt like the windows were demanding to frame a scale-appropriate headboard.

I found a gray linen one that made me nod and smile.
But it was very pricey.
I loved some tufted ones, but they seemed very time-consuming to make, and not super cheap either (to make) and VERY expensive to buy.

Then my mom was telling me about these boxes of upholstery samples (that were discontinued) that she was given. Now I know discontinued fabric means it's not the latest trend. But I was nevertheless excited. Free quality fabric + my mom's talent and generous sweetness = a respectable headboard.

 
My dad and I went to Home Depot and got a big piece of plywood cut into a square. My mom had sewn a "quilt" of the fabric samples all together. And then we used an old stained cheap comforter for padding. The layers got stapled unto the board and then screwed together and mounted on the wall.


And this is how the headboard looks now. Isn't it a nice scale? Fabric = free. Labor (because I have awesome talent giving parents) = free. Plywood about $12? And that's that. A headboard that I'm pleased with. I still don't love the wall color - but the brown DID help calm down all that blue-green. And one day I'll paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment